Subject: Building bootable ISO images of -current from 2.0 (or earlier) HINT
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@redcrowgroup.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/08/2004 12:55:14
Just in case anyone else tries to do this, I thought I'd give a heads
up... I've been periodically building ISO images of 2.0_BETA/i386 and
-current/i386 from a 2.0_BETA box, but since I rarely need to boot from
them, I didn't notice until today that the images of -current I was
building were NOT in fact bootable - the   A little investigation
revealed that back in May, the concept of RELEASEMACHINE and
RELEASEMACHINEDIR were added to bsd.own.mk in support of the Xen port,
but since build.sh doesn't support building ISO images (yet), I'd been
using the 'iso-image' target of src/etc/Makefile directly.  Since 2.0's
bsd.own.mk has no RELEASEMACHINE, the flags to mkisofs don't contain the
magic for i386 bootability.

I work around this by adding two lines to my /etc/mk.conf:

RELEASEMACHINE?=${MACHINE}
RELEASEMACHINEDIR?=${MACHINE}

...and it works as expected.

(incidentally, if anyone's interested in using any of my ISO images,
they're available for download at http://www.tastylime.net/netbsd/ .  No
warranties of any kind!  :)

+j

--