Subject: Re: pcmcia nic (3c589) locks up computer on suspend/resume
To: NetBSD current <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/2004 09:50:14
On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 05:09:18PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> In message <20041005141858.GM16840@uvt316-2.ruk.cuni.cz>, "Michal 'hramrach' Su
> chanek" writes:
> >I have a 3c589 pcmcia nic (I think it is the ep driver) and whenever I
> >put the computer to sleep and the nic is in use it would either not go
> >to sleep at all or the system would stop an wakeup until the card is
> >ejected.
> >Not using anything network related or better even putting the interface
> >down works around the problem.
> >

> What kind of laptop do you have?  Some IBM BIOSes behave that way; I
> don't think there's anything NetBSD can do about it.  My workaround is
> similar to yours:  my /etc/apm/suspend script ifconfig's all network
> interfaces down; my /etc/apm/resume script restores them.  (Well, that
> script is actually more complex, because it reinvokes dhclient, but you
> get the picture.)

No, I got a Dell CPx. It suspends and resumes fine with a XI-626 and
Linux suspends and resumes fine with this exact 3c589. It is just netbsd
and the card that does not work. I even tried a different 3c589  and it
does the same, although it is not exactly the same version of hardware.

Thanks

Michal Suchanek