Subject: Re: pcmcia nic (3c589) locks up computer on suspend/resume
To: Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/2004 17:09:18
In message <20041005141858.GM16840@uvt316-2.ruk.cuni.cz>, "Michal 'hramrach' Su
chanek" writes:
>I have a 3c589 pcmcia nic (I think it is the ep driver) and whenever I
>put the computer to sleep and the nic is in use it would either not go
>to sleep at all or the system would stop an wakeup until the card is
>ejected.
>Not using anything network related or better even putting the interface
>down works around the problem.

What kind of laptop do you have?  Some IBM BIOSes behave that way; I
don't think there's anything NetBSD can do about it.  My workaround is
similar to yours:  my /etc/apm/suspend script ifconfig's all network
interfaces down; my /etc/apm/resume script restores them.  (Well, that
script is actually more complex, because it reinvokes dhclient, but you
get the picture.)