Subject: Re: NetBSD-current/i386 release build fails
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2004 19:12:13
> Is there any real reason we have to have an INSTALL_TINY,
> i.e. an install that fits onto a single floopy?  Are there any
> machines totally incapable of having a floopy switch happen in
> the middle of the boot sequence?
>
> We may have outgrown our bounds, it would seem...

The original intent was to support installation of NetBSD on i386
machines with only 4MB of RAM.  Now, I think it is a Long Time
Ago that we were able to pull off that feat.

Thus, it's not really about whether we're able or willing to
support switching to a second boot floppy during the installation
(as is done by some of the other images), but rather how much
memory is consumed when you gunzip the contents, as is done by
the boot loader.

I've not really tried to find out what the minimum memory
requirement is, but I suspect it is 8MB or perhaps more, even for
the INSTALL_TINY based image.

Regards,

- H=E5vard