Subject: msdos filesystem quirks in -current?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2004 08:59:26
I have a reasonably-current system (built on September 17th, rebuilding today
anyway) with a couple of FAT32 partitions.

One of them has several quirks:
1.  Copying large files to it gets the moderately cryptic:
	cp: <filename>: Invalid argument
2.  If this filesystem is mounted during the nightly run, in the morning, it's
wedged.  The machine still runs, but running "df" hangs in disk wait, attempts
to unmount or ls the partition hang in disk wait, and it is impossible to
shut the machine down cleanly.

I have tried fsck_msdos, the Windows disk utilities, and even Norton
Utilities, and they all think the partition looks fine.  If I boot XP, I can
beat on the disk for hours on end without any problems, so I don't think it's
failing hardware.

Anyone else seeing anything like that?

-s