Subject: Re: Version Naming/Numbering
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/23/2004 07:56:33
On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 03:36:58PM -0700, The Grey Wolf wrote:
> I see the push for advancing major numbers as totally arbitrary and bogus.

Perhaps you should have a look at the archive of various NetBSD mailing
lists? You'll find various examples where people are really surprised
that e.g. upgrading from 2.0G to 2.0_BETA doesn't work becaues it is
a downgrade and not a upgrade.

> Why not, since we're at 2.x now, stick with 2.x until such time as we have
> something so significantly different it can be called 3.x, proceeding along
> the lines of 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc. as we have historically done?

Because it has confused a lot of users in the past, still continues to
confuse users and will confuse more users in the future.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/