Subject: Re: Wash and Go
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/2004 12:07:15
Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> [This really belongs to netbsd-help@ or netbsd-users@]

   Agreed.  But...

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 14:42:20 +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
>>I know this issue was mentioned a few times.
>>My Problem is, that the default key-bindings on NetBSD does not work with my
>>Keyboard at all.
>>I can't use PageUP PageDown, Pos1, or End, Insert or Delete from the
>>Key-Block. They all produce "~" a Tilde Sign.
>>I know you can define Key-Binding in .profile but shouldn't this work
>>automatically. (I mean without setting thousands of key-binds).
>>That would be far more user-comfortable.
>>If you set up a new machine, you need hours and days until everything is a
>>bit workable.
>>I'm using Putty to access my Servers and TERM=xterm.
>
> I've been using putty to access my netbsd boxes for ages (I'm writing
> this from a putty session).  I use TERM=vt100 and it just works.

   I use putty as well, and have seen that same behaviour.
The deal is Putty, not NetBSD.  Putty is configured to sent
those key sequences to the underlying application.  For
example, if you're using 'vi' and hit page up and page
down, it scrolls a page up and a page down.  To move
putty's scrollbar a page, you have to use Shift-PgUp
or Shift-PgDown.

   I would presume other keys work the same way.  If
they're not working in other applications on your windows
machine, it's a windows problem.

                    - Chris