Subject: Re: fxp issues
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/2004 16:41:00
>>> Same here - Thinkpad A21p. There have been good bad ones (straining
>>> my
>>> nerves when the IF droops of fo 30s - 1m).
>>
>> Oh, no, mine drops for only ~1.5s or so, consistently.  Basically just
>> long enough to notice the light going out on the switch.
>>

> same here. does keeping steady traffic on the interface make it stop
> happening for you, also?
>
> (also, re: an earlier post, my switch is a Netgear FS105, and has no
> way of
> dropping the port to 10baseT-FDX. Although, I can drop the interface to
> 10baseT-FDX via ifconfig, and the switch will reflect the change. But,
> now
> that I think of it... I don't have the ping running right now, and I
> think
> the NUT (www.upsnetworktools.org) queries every five seconds are
> keeping it
> from blinking out, since I haven't noticed it happening since I setup
> upsmon
> on that machine.
>
> So, as stated before, the only workaround I know of is to keep some
> traffic
> on the interface.. but whether or not that works for everyone, it is
> obviously still a driver problem. If I had the time, I'd try to debug
> it..
> but it's (obviously) not causing a kernel panic, nor any messages to
> console, so I wouldn't know where in the code to start looking.
>
> -Sean

i have a i386 box here with a redundant fxp NIC in it. i'll put it onto
the network and give it a try in different environments (i.e., try to
reach it via ICMP for a day or so in 1sec intervals, repeating this for
2secs, 5secs etc.).

there's a nice layer3 smc switch (managed, and that's the point! ;)
attached to it so that i can trace at least the world side of the
interface's behaviour a little less better than just watching a
switch's LED :)

i'll provide any results.

--
mit vorzueglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Schoeler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt