Subject: Re: Subversion Mirror?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/2004 10:10:27
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004, Herb Peyerl wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2004, at 5:51 AM, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
>
> >I noticed that there is a new way of CVS called SVN (subversion).
> >Is Netbsd going to support SVN in the future or is NetBSD already
> >supporting
> >SVN?
> >
> You are confused. SVN is another source code management package.  It is
> not "another way of CVS".  There are many different source code
> management products.  Switching from one to another is a lot of work
> and isn't done every time someone writes a new one.

SVN has a lot of promise - but developers have tried importing NetBSD's
CVS into it, and it wasn't up to the task.

IIRC, the tools couldn't handle the number of files in NetBSD, combined
with the number of revisions. The part that did get converted was also
several times larger than the size as stored in CVS.

Of course, SVN is still under development, so it may be suitable
eventually.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive