Subject: Re: Sound stuttering with 2.0 on i386
To: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040907T131349@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/07/2004 15:01:43
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht said:

>The fastest way to have it happen is to use a fixed-rate data source.
>Eg. having another machine digitize audio at a fixed rate and have it
>sent across the net and then played locally.  It will usually start
>stuttering within 30 seconds.  It "feels" like the play buffer is
>draining and playing snippets of old samples.  Someone that
>understands this driver better may want to try turning the play logic
>off when the buffer runs empty instead of playing trash.

I have a machine here with 1.0ghz Athlon, 384MB memory. When it was running
1.5.4 it could play DiVX movies using apla with sound and video in sync
without a problem. Same hardware, same movies, NetBSD 1.6.1 has stuttering
audio while running apla. Machine relatively idle.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com