Subject: IP Telephony using Asterisk on NetBSD-current
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: current-users
Date: 09/06/2004 11:40:06
I recently needed to get the VoIP-PBX "Asterisk" running under NetBSD,
and discovered that this was quickly and easily accomplished.  I've
sent the patches back to the maintainers, and they are now in CVS.
So, if anyone wants to play with a very good software PBX under
NetBSD, scoot on over to <http://www.asterisk.org/>, and check out the
head of their CVS tree.

There are still some pthread related issues, especially regarding the
"music on hold"-feature.  Specifically, Asterisk tries to destroy
active mutexes.  I run with PTHREAD_DIAGASSERT set to Ael, and can see
no ill effects in practice.

I use "real" IP phones, as well as kphone (from pkgsrc) with Asterisk,
and have SIP and IAX2 links to VoIP providers.

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no  T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901