Subject: Re: Graphical Sysinst in 2.0
To: James Buchanan <buchanan@iinet.net.au>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/2004 12:42:18
>> could you tell more about your sysinst?
>
> I'm separating all the functions that do the install (partition making,
> disklabels, mounting and unmounting, networking, running commands) into
> an installation library.  So then, both text and graphical installers
> can concentrate on their UI and call into the installation library to
> do the work.  A lot of these functions already exist, so I'll move them
> into the library.
>
> I haven't made any decisions about the UI yet, but I expect that I will
> use a lot of the existing code for the curses UI.  Curses, I suppose,
> is both a graphical and a text UI at the same time.  It can run on less
> capable terminals and still present something that is a little more
> organised than a text interface using just printf/scanf.
>
> The current sysinst code is tightly coupled with the curses code which
> want to change.  Also, I'm working on better error checking and things
> like that too.

that sounds cool :)

why not taking this chance of writing (perhaps) a new sysinstall to
make further changes?

* using XML for data sets like the timezone list (there's more or less
a kind of dynamic change in it)

* making the whole process (more?) scriptable, e.g. for mass rollout
events (might be very useful in cluster environments)

* etc. i didn't think of yet due to lack of coffeine :D

--
mit vorzueglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Schoeler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt