Subject: Re: Graphical Sysinst in 2.0
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: James Buchanan <buchanan@iinet.net.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/2004 16:40:56
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 02:38 am, Wojciech wrote:
> could you tell more about your sysinst?

I'm separating all the functions that do the install (partition making,
disklabels, mounting and unmounting, networking, running commands) into
an installation library.  So then, both text and graphical installers
can concentrate on their UI and call into the installation library to
do the work.  A lot of these functions already exist, so I'll move them
into the library.

I haven't made any decisions about the UI yet, but I expect that I will
use a lot of the existing code for the curses UI.  Curses, I suppose,
is both a graphical and a text UI at the same time.  It can run on less
capable terminals and still present something that is a little more
organised than a text interface using just printf/scanf.

The current sysinst code is tightly coupled with the curses code which I
want to change.  Also, I'm working on better error checking and things
like that too.