Subject: Re: Graphical Sysinst in 2.0
To: Chapman Flack <flack@cerias.purdue.edu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/2004 14:19:51
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Chapman Flack wrote:

> They had taken Tcl and developed an extension, much like Tk, but with just
> a few simple widgets for lists and selections and basic stuff that could
> be rendered equally decently in curses or X.  Then they migrated a bunch
> of their sysadmin scripts to vtcl.  Run them on a bare terminal, you see
> curses.  Run them under X, you see X.  Same scripts.
>
> Assuming they didn't do something silly like patent the idea, it seems
> pretty sensible to me, and could be done as easily in any extensible
> scripting language (ksh comes to mind, but that's me).

Sounds like a good idea.

OpenBSD does its installer all in shell script (which runs other tools).

We could attempt doing something similar using dialog/cdialog and then
graphical with xdialog (or other).

Or maybe try libdialog. Or maybe find some wrapper for the curses commands
to convert to X11?

I wrote a simple X11 menu tool for using with shell scripts to pop up
different dialogs too. (But it is ugly.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/