Subject: Re: Bad response...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/2004 21:08:19
simonb@wasabisystems.com (Simon Burge) writes:

>Here's a simple test case:  I've got mpd playing an mp3, and starting a
>large read results in the "bad response" scenario, most noticably with
>the song mpd is playing pausing a lot.

How can this be related to memory usage ? This looks more like a
latency problem. The large read saturates the I/O channel to the
disk and the small reads done by mpd are delayed. What happens
when the mp3 is in mfs ?

>Also, when I've noticed that when this box is in this "bad response"
>state I get "keyboard bounce" while in X.  Quite often, a single
>character repeats, so that at normal typing speed "youud see
>someethingg  likke this".

Do you see more than double characters ? If it were a normal
key repeat that was triggered by sluggish X server then you
should also see more than one repetition.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de