Subject: Re: 802.11[bg] USB interfaces support
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2004 12:35:43
On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 10:59:33PM +0000, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do these interfaces work with NetBSD? Specifically, I would like to know
> if D-Link DWL-120 (http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=49) or
> D-Link DWL-G120 (http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=268) work. I saw
> NetBSD official website that some USB Ethernet devices work well, but I
> found no references regarding 802.11[bg] support.
>
> Thank you very much.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, there are patches for
OpenBSD that add USB support to wi.  That will cover a large number of
USB 802.11b adapters, although it will probably not cover new adapters.

The OpenBSD patches look fine, and if somebody was to port them to NetBSD,
I don't think we could reasonably refuse them.  However, I maintain
that the delay loops in wi *must* go, and it will be easier to get rid
of them *before* adding USB support than *after*.  (The way that awi
avoids delay loops looks pretty reasonable.)

Dave