Subject: Re: Bad response...
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chapman Flack <flack@cerias.purdue.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2004 16:45:14
Greg Woods wrote:

> time they've been started.  E.g. one could give programs like ntpd,
> mountd, nfsd, etc. high memory priority on an NFS server but on a laptop
> one could give high priority to whatever programs and shared libraries
> one most commonly uses.  I.e. it would be nice to have some way to
> prioritize memory use between different applications without having to
> have them do it themselves and without having to poke at their PIDs
> after they've been started but rather to provide that advice to the
> kernel through static filesystem attributes on the files they are loaded
> from.

Or use some mechanism like verifiedexec(4), load those parameters from
a file, if it's a pain to squeeze new attributes into the fs structures.

By the way (I may out myself as a NetBSD newbie here) is there currently
a way to tweak a process's memory priority, analogous to giving it a
scheduling priority with setpriority(2), or was that part science fiction?

-Chap