Subject: Re: Bad response...
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2004 17:02:55
On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 16:37, Chuck Silvers wrote:

> this is a very modest memory usage, only 1.1 MB.
>

> > In use 14733K, total allocated 17724K; utilization 83.1%
>
> if I add up the "Npage" column, I only get 1731 pages, which is 6924KB
> (I'm assuming this is a pc).  where's the other 10MB hiding?

Good question...

In fact it's a shark (arm), but the page size is the same at 4k.

Actually the (breakdown) figures may be suspect.  I've just realized
that they come from a kernel which is out of sync with the userland.  I
think top is giving OK info, but I'm less sure about vmstat.

I need to reimage the machine -- it's one of the things I'd like to do
this weekend if I have time.

I'll get back to you once I have more reliable data.

R.