Subject: Re: 2.0 install thing with mail
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/2004 14:53:27
Build from yesterday's sources, issue still exists:

---------------------------
Setting securelevel: kern.securelevel: 0 -> 1
Starting virecover.
Starting local daemons:.
Updating motd.
Starting sendmail. Aug 18 15:22:25  sendmail[307]: unable to qualify my own
domain name (localhost) -- using short name
WARNING: local host name (localhost) is not qualified; fix $j in config file
/etc/mail/aliases: 22 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 246 bytes total
Starting sendmail.
Aug 18 15:22:25  sm-mta[317]: My unqualified host name (localhost) unknown;
sleeping for retry
Starting inetd.
Starting cron.
Wed Aug 18 15:23:26 CDT 2004

NetBSD/sparc64 (Amnesiac) (console)

login:
---------------------------

It took forever for this baby to give me the login prompt.  My install went
like this:

Sysinst of full install on a re-paritioned disk
Configured network via top-level menu
Reboot

None of the network configuration was preserved from sysinst and that period
of waiting for the login prompt seems like forever.

<rant>
My point being simple:  this is not a good way to greet a new user to a
fresh install.  Turn off sendmail by default and if they want to do mail,
let them turn it on.  This freaks me out even when I know the PROBLEM is
there.
</rant>

peter