Subject: Re: Vesa driver in XFree86 (was: Re: Xfree86 errors on 2.0)
To: davide <d.zanon@infinito.it>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/15/2004 01:04:54
Depending on your CPU, 10fps may not be too bad at 1280x1024.  I get
about 25fps at approximately that same resolution on my AMD64.

The much higher rates were in the default window resolution.

The color depth of your display may also affect it.  24-bit can be
simpler (straight RGB with little or no dithering), but it can also
be slower (3 bytes instead of 2, compared to 16-bit).  When you start
X (assuming you do so manually) use "startx -- -depth 16" or
"startx -- -depth 24" for comparison.

NetBSD will be slow at OpenGL compared to FreeBSD and GNU/LINUX
because DRI does not work on NetBSD.  (Not, at least, out of the
box.  There are patches that some people have had success with.
See tech-x11 on the NetBSD mail archives.  I have not attempted to
patch my system for that.  Not yet, anyway.)