Subject: Re: Vesa driver in XFree86 (was: Re: Xfree86 errors on 2.0)
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: davide <d.zanon@infinito.it>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/2004 22:53:00
Richard Rauch wrote:

>(The Vesa driver turned in some 1100 or 1300 fps with glxgears on
>NetBSD.  Since then I've upgraded NetBSD and X a few times, and
>have never been able to top about 600fps, and usually wind up with
>about 300fps or 400fps.  A more recent GNU/LINUX install is now
>doing DRI with the card (and a decent ATI-specific driver), but
>still can't top about 500fps or so.  I gather that the glxgears
>demo is not really well-suited to hardware acceleration, so
>outperforming DRI on glxgears is not terribly amazing.)

Hi,
I am using NetBSD 2.0_BETA on i386 with a Matrox mga450 32mb
graphics card. In both Xorg and XFree86 I use the mga550 driver
(I tried also mga400). When I run glxgears and then I make
the window bigger (fullscreen, 1280x1024) this is the output:
[serah@nyarlathotep]% glxgears
106 frames in 5.0 seconds = 21.200 FPS
52 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10.400 FPS
51 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10.200 FPS
49 frames in 5.0 seconds =  9.800 FPS
52 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10.400 FPS
I always thought it was *a bit* slow, but now I am sure ;-)
Does anyone know how to help me?
Thank you!
Davide