Subject: Re: Differences between "etcupdate" and "postinstall"
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@unifei.edu.br>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2004 18:10:41
On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 05:15:21PM +0000, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:59:58 -0500 Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com> wrote:
> > That is wrong.  I'm looking at
> > http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current,
> > and it looks like each set of instructions says "install the sets"
> > _then_ run etcupdate.
>
> I'm sorry. I wrote wrong and did it right. They say I must update /etc
> before updating _basic_ utilities, not _base_.
	oh, I see.  Step #3 of "Installing a current snapshot".  That should
definitely be changed.  Both postinstall and etcupdate need to run _after_
installing the sets.
Perhaps to:
   3. Extract the matching base, and any other desirable feature sets:
      su
      cd /
      tar -zxpf ~/comp.tgz
      tar -zxpf ~/base.tgz
   4.  Perform post installation fixes (still as root)
      cd /root/etc
      ./postinstall -s /root check
      # Now follow any instructions to fix your system files/config
   5.  Update /etc (still as root)
      /usr/sbin/etcupdate -b /root
      shutdown -r now

Does that look about right?