Subject: pxe headless install of netbsd?
To: NetBSD Current <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2004 08:29:05
Hi, just a quick couple of questions.

I have a mini-itx headless box with no cdrom drive, but a 20Gb
drive - so I don't need to run a diskless machine, but I *would*
like to avoid having to buy a USB CDROM just to install NetBSD
(plus I'm having trouble with latest bootblocks on these boards
and heard pxe still works).

So my plan is to boot an install kernel with a serial console enabled
in it over PXE. Then I could do a standard install to pretty much
anything just by plugging it into my main box and powering it up.

Do I just have to uncomment :

# This option allows you to force a serial console at the specified
# I/O address.
#options        CONSDEVNAME=3D"\"com\"",CONADDR=3D0x3f8,CONSPEED=3D9600

in the INSTALL kernel? If so, how do I get the install ramdisk into it
without building a full release?

(I realise I might be bitten once the normal bootblocks are on the disk
due to the hardware issue I mentioned, but that's Bridge #2 ... ^_^ )

Thanks!

--=20
Everyone talks about apathy, but no one ____=08=08=08=08does anything about=
 it.