Subject: Re: Differences between "etcupdate" and "postinstall"
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@unifei.edu.br>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2004 00:37:46
Hi,

"postinstall" failed with gid, uid and sendmail. No problem at all.
After running "postinstall", I tried to run "etcupdate".

First of all, I chose to create some directories at / and after that,
"etcupdate" told me /bin/cat differ from what I have in my $DESTDIR. So,
I chose to install the new file, and then my script failed with all next
files, because "etcupdate" uses "cat". So, I checked my new /bin/cat
with "file" and saw it is dinamically linked, while another binaries not
updated in the same directory are all statically linked.

How do I fix this?

$ file cat
cat: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
NetBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
$ file chio
chio: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1(SYSV), for NetBSD, statically linked, stripped
$

Also, there is an error in "postinstall" script. "stat" is used in the
script and it tries to use a parameter that does not exist (-q). I
think this should be fixed.

Thank you.

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:31:12 -0500
Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 04:16:08PM +0000, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what's the differente between "etcupdate" and "postinstall"? I was
> > wondering this because I was reading "Tracking NetBSD-current",
> > section"Installing a current snapshot", and the autor explain I must
> > update/etc before updating base utilities, and then he uses
> > "postinstall"; after installing base.tgz, etc.tgz, etc. he uses
> > "etcupdate".
> 	postinstall performs several easily automated tasks that don't
> require user interaction.  This includes things like updating the
> files in /etc/rc.d, removing obsolete files, etc...
> 	etcupdate steps you through the manual process of merging a old
> and new /etc.  It mostly just shows you a diff of each changed file
> and asks you what you want to do.
> 	You need to use both, or perform the equivalent steps by hand.
>
> eric
| Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@unifei.edu.br> |
| http://www.ici.unifei.edu.br                  |

UNIX* is what you get when you want a real computer.