Subject: Re: README: sendmail changes
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/2004 23:04:31
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 09:38:32AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>In message <20040722090246.B12253@noc.untraceable.net>, Andrew Brown writes:
>>
>>by introducing "magic" that attempts to figure out if you fall into
>>the latter class of people, we start sendmail iff it looks like it's
>>needed.  if you've specifically selected another mailer with
>>/etc/mailer.conf, it won't start, so people who have properly switched
>>to postfix will be fine (note that simply setting postfix to YES in
>>/etc/rc.conf does nothing since the "sendmail" you get when you send
>>mail will be the sendmail sendmail, not the postfix sendmail).
>
>There was some discussion of a new rc.d script "mailer", with a
>variable mailer_flags that can be set to sendmail, postfix, etc.; this
>script would build mailer.conf and start the appropriate mailer.  Is
>that not possible?

i imagine it's possible, but someone has yet to dream up a way to deal
with someone installing somerandommta and using that instead of
anything else...afaict.  ie, it sounds trivial, but the engineering of
it is somewhat more complex.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."