Subject: Re: README: sendmail changes
To: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/2004 10:10:31
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:59:30AM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> One of the first things I do when setting up a NetBSD machine is nuke
> sendmail and install qmail

Well, the script will actually detect the mailer.conf changes and
obey. But it did not detect my more subtle configuration changes
(PR bin/26391), and I guess if we would fix that we would find another
failure case in a few weeks, and another one in a month...

I have no problem with the default setup (via sysinst, or default "empty"
rc.conf file, or however) to have a

  sendmail=UNCONFIGURED

and the rc.d script to interpret that as "local and outgoing mail only,
via sendmail". That's the same as our rc_configured=NO default.

But the current state does not allow me to stop sendmail from running,
even by an explicit

  sendmail=NO

I have removed /etc/rc.d/sendmail on my machines as a short term fix.

Martin