Subject: Re: Prob with 2.0 build
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/2004 08:44:39
In article <40FB90CD.90805@rambler.ru>,
	sigsegv@rambler.ru writes:
> I think I had similar problems last time I tried to cross-compile for
> sparc64.

It worked fine for with yesterday's NetBSD-current sources.

> While we're on sparc64 subject, does anyone know why NetBSD
> doesn't support UltraSparc III and UltraSparc IV systems? Is it because
> those systems are too expensive for mortal users ...

Yes, that's why the NetBSD Foundation asked for a donation recently.

> ... so nobody bothers to support them or ...

... so nobody can afford one.

> If I win the lottery which 64 bit system would I be better off with
> Alpha or UltarSparc? Well there is AMD's x86_64 but I guess it sucks
> compared to Alphas or UltraSparcs, ...

Does it? You'll need hell of an Alpha or UltraSPARC system to beat
a quad Opteron. And at least the UltraSPARC II systems which could
do that are not supported by NetBSD at the moment.

> ... I mean it's cursed x86 with 64 bit registers :-) can't be too
> much of an improvement can it?

The biggest problem of the x86 architecture were the small number
of registers. And AMD fixed that in the AMD64 instruction set.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/