Subject: Re: enhanced speedstep daemon
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ove Soerensen <ove@elektro-eel.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/2004 00:57:45
On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 06:56:36PM +0300, Staffan Thomen wrote:
> I'm wondering about us with the "non-enhanced" speedstep, there seems
> not to be any support for it? I understand this is a user-settable
> setting, linux and windows have some software for it, but not us...

The "classic" SpeedStep is not quite as straightforward as Enhanced
SpeedStep. IIRC you need to suspend the cpu before switching frequency
which takes ages speaking in GHz-terms and makes the approach estd
takes (involving multiple frequency-switches in a short interval)
unfeasible. Additionaly you have to cope with buggy ACPI implementations
or go for semi-official mainboard specific interfaces. This would be
some tough work and require access to a lot of different laptop-models to
get it working reliably.