Subject: Re: tracking current - snapshot
To: NetBSD current list <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/15/2004 21:36:24
--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW

William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com> wrote:
=20
> Next, my PR diffs were written as I personally tested:
>   cd /root/etc
>   ./etcupdate -s /root/etc
>=20
> Instead, they modified to:
>   cd /root/etc
>   ./postinstall -s /root check
>=20
> Doesn't this remove old files before the new versions are installed? =20
> Was this tested extensively?

I'm not sure of this in particular was tested.  Which PR was that?
21923?  I've CC'd jmc@, who did incorporate your changes into the
documentation, maybe he can comment on why the changes were made.

(I've just now made some of the suggestions you made in this mail,
though.)

> Finally, my PR diffs were written as I personally tested:
>   tar -zxpf ~/comp.tgz
>   tar -zxpf ~/base.tgz
>   shutdown -r now
>=20
> Instead, they modified to:
>   tar -zxpf ~/base.tgz
>   tar -zxpf ~/comp.tgz
>   /usr/sbin/etcupdate -b /root
>   shutdown -r now
>=20
> I am absolutely positive this will not always work, as I've been bitten=
=20
> by this mistake!  Installing base has to be done last, as tar is in base,
> and with any changes to tar and the libraries it accesses *boom*!

Yes, I have made a habit of doing base.tgz in the end, too, so I changed
that as well.

> And why etcupdate here?

jmc?

-Jan

--=20
'I have reached an age where my main purpose is not to receive
messages.' --- Umberto Eco, quoted in the New Yorker

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW--