Subject: tracking current - snapshot
To: NetBSD current list <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/15/2004 18:40:23
While I'm grateful that many of the fixes to www documentation I wrote
last summer were finally added this summer, I'm puzzled as to the
reasons for various changes that were made?

On this list, we rather extensively discussed the commands for
installing a new kernel.  My PR diffs included:
  mv netbsd /netbsd.new
  ln -fh /netbsd /netbsd.old
  ln -fh /netbsd.new /netbsd

Instead, they modified to:
  mv /netbsd /netbsd.old
  mv netbsd /netbsd

AFAICT, this leaves a hole when there is no bootable kernel?

Personally, my practice has changed since I originally wrote up the fix
to use a date instead of .new, so that I can track the revisions, just
as KRE uses .<version>.

Next, my PR diffs were written as I personally tested:
  cd /root/etc
  ./etcupdate -s /root/etc

Instead, they modified to:
  cd /root/etc
  ./postinstall -s /root check

Doesn't this remove old files before the new versions are installed?
Was this tested extensively?

Finally, my PR diffs were written as I personally tested:
  tar -zxpf ~/comp.tgz
  tar -zxpf ~/base.tgz
  shutdown -r now

Instead, they modified to:
  tar -zxpf ~/base.tgz
  tar -zxpf ~/comp.tgz
  /usr/sbin/etcupdate -b /root
  shutdown -r now

I am absolutely positive this will not always work, as I've been bitten
by this mistake!  Installing base has to be done last, as tar is in base,
and with any changes to tar and the libraries it accesses *boom*!

And why etcupdate here?

(continued in further messages)
--
William Allen Simpson