Subject: Joystick (gameport) users: please test -current code
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/09/2004 16:36:36
This is for people with old PCs, or with non-PCs, who have
an analog joystick connected to a gameport:

I've changed the driver to use machine independant
timing functions instead of ISA timer specific code.
While this allows to compile the driver on all platforms
supporting PCI or ISA (or whatever a soundcard or gamecard
can be attached to), it might have a negative impact
on performance.

Could you please test -current (joy.c rev. 1.7) with
your hardware?
Just "dd if=/dev/joy0 of=/dev/null" could already give
an impression.
If you notice a slowdown which is worse than with the
old driver, tell me and we'll find a way how to get
machine depandant optimizations in place.

best regards
Matthias