Subject: over-aggressive 'preferencing' of AAAA rec over A?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2004 11:47:24
for the last 2-3 weeks I've noticed (it could have been going on longer) that
I seem to be preferencing IPv6 DNS AAAA returns over A, for my pkgsrc FETCH_CMD
default, in web browses, shell commands.

I don't want to disable IPv6. But I do need some finer grained method to control
in user-space if A preferences AAAA or vice-versa.

I'm on both 6bone and 2001: space, and I have to say that the reachability
and RTT for some very significant nodes (like ftp.mozilla.org) is not tenable
for me to preference V6 right now, or when offsite and depending on other peoples
V6 tunnels.

I've done a brief search in email, but I can't see anybody else having similar
problems, or a well known FM to read, that explains how to use something like
nsswitch.conf to direct if I want A or AAAA.

any clues?

cheers
	-George

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC                 |  See you at APNIC 18
Email: ggm@apnic.net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton    |  Nadi, Fiji