Subject: Re: NMI on Compaq 1850R (was Re: cac problems with 2.0E-20040517)
To: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/19/2004 09:52:45
At 11:29 -0400 6/19/04, Chris Ross wrote:

>   That would suck.  Perhaps I should call Compaq.  However, I'm
>not sure how much they'll care when I tell them "Memtest86+, a
>free memory testing program I'm using, says that ECC is Off for
>my 1850R.  It is said to require ECC memory, and it has such.
>(compaq part # blah blah).  How do I fix it?"  I'm sure "you're
>software is wrong" will be the first answer.  :-/

"Well, this is a widely used memory testing tool and I have no reason
to doubt what it is reporting, and I'm sure that many of your
high-end server customers who insist on ECC RAM would be most
interested to know that while ECC is there, it's turned *off* and
that they're not getting the reliability that they paid for."

I bet if you said something like that, you'd have their undivided attention.

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>