Subject: Re: NMI on Compaq 1850R (was Re: cac problems with 2.0E-20040517)
To: Timo Schoeler <tis@macfinity.net>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/2004 14:42:25
Timo Schoeler wrote:
> hi,
>
> i think that steve is on the right path regarding to this topic; to me
> it sounds very likely to be a hardware related issue, i.e. steve said
> that the combination of both dimms caused trouble seems to be a problem
> with the second dimm's added load (capacity, timing etc.) to the
> (memory) bus.
>
> memtest86 could provide a hint.
>
> is anyone able to test a machine with the same config (i.e. same memory
> size), but using *ECC* ram? maybe that would kick the bucket... ;)

   Sorry if that got lost in the thread, but I *am* using ECC DIMMs.
They're the standard Compaq parts for this system.  I guess I'm
only assuming it's *doing* ECC with them.  I'm assuming that's
actually the issue...  The ECC/partity is causing the NMI.  Unless
it's something in the software that's misusing the memory somehow,
but.

   Again, I'll see what a current tree runs like.  Then if I'm
still having trouble, I'll likely try memtest86 and/or memtest86+.

                                - Chris