Subject: Re: 'shutdown -p ...' does not turn off nic's ethernet link!?
To: None <martin@duskware.de>
From: Takayoshi Kochi <kochi@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/2004 11:06:45
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 01:15:16 +0200

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 01:57:04AM +0900, Takayoshi Kochi wrote:
> > Maybe turning the card into D3 (soft-off) state will make it.
> > How about calling pci_powerstate() in fxp's shutdown hook?
>
> Is there any chance we could (on i386 at least) query the BIOS and see
> if Wake On Lan is enabled for this device? If not, we should make the
> behaviour sysctl'able (or otherwise configurable).

I don't think there's such a query interface, but yes, it should be
configurable.

This document might help.
http://support.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-008459.htm

Some motherboards/laptops have a WOL enable flag in
their BIOS (whether or not it has on-board LAN), but I suppose
they are enabling/disabling wake on PME# on the PCI bus and
supplying stand-by power for the slot.

As it's also required for a LAN card to support signalling PME#
on wake-up packet, a LAN card bios (if it's not on-board) should
be aware of WOL.

---
Takayoshi Kochi