Subject: FDISK setup on i386 NetBSD 2.0 installation?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/2004 04:42:46
   I have a compaq server, and before installing NetBSD, I
wiped the disk drive, and installed the compaq "system
configuration" code onto the disk.  I know from prior
experience, that this creates a small fdisk partition on
the disk, and installs into that.

   I then booted off of install floppies (20040517-2.0E
snapshot), and installed (via ftp) that snapshot onto my
machine.  It asked me if I which disk to use, then it
asked me if I wanted to define partitions, or use existing
partitions.  I told it I wanted to define partitions,
because thinking that it meant BSD partitions (not fdisk
partitions), I did want to do to.

   It appears to have overwritten the fdisk table, and
therefore the partition that was installed for the
compaq "System Configuration" software.

   Did I just give it the wrong answer, or should it've
gone through some other step where it asked me about
the fdisk configuration of the drive?  I would've expected
the latter, but it never brought it up.

   Can anyone help me understand this?  Thanks much...

                         - Chris