Subject: Re: Significant divergence in UFS?
To: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/2004 12:07:26
--0lnxQi9hkpPO77W3

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 05:42:07PM -0700, Scott Ellis wrote:
> In an attempt to recover some data accidentally deleted by one of my user=
s,
> I've been trying to get either Sleuthkit or TCT working on a UFS1
> filesystem, to no avail.

> ...and then proceeded to make an image of it using makefs, mount it to a
> vnd, delete the "DelDir" and "DelFile" parts, then unmount/unvnconfig the
> file so I could practice file recovery.
>=20
> Unfortunately, the tools from SleuthKit and TCT don't seem to operate as
> expected, and my gut tells me it's due to a divergence of NetBSD's on-disk
> format from that of the other BSD's.

I'm not familiar with these tools. However, one problem all the BSDs have=
=20
had is that UFS (both 1 and 2) has not been maintained in a=20
backwards-compatible manner. The fact that adding UFS2 impacted UFS1 has=20
generated a lot of traffic on this list already.

So I'm not surprised if there are issues with the on-disk format diverging=
=20
slightly. However it's not clear if it's that NetBSD has diverged, or that=
=20
we didn't make backwards-incompatible changes. :-)

Take care,

Bill

--0lnxQi9hkpPO77W3

--0lnxQi9hkpPO77W3--