Subject: Re: Multiple channels of audio?
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@speakeasy.net>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/2004 18:04:37
Laine Stump wrote:
> At 11:19 AM 6/10/2004, Peter Seebach wrote:
>
>> II'm mostly going off what sound hardware advertises on the box; most
>> PC sound
>> hardware claims to be able to do 64-channel playback, and some do
>> 128-256 or
>> more.  I'd assume at least part of this is actual hardware, such that
>> you can
>> queue up samples and it can play them all at once.
>

> I always thought this number was how many simultaneous MIDI tracks it
> could produce, not the number of raw audio tracks.

Most audio chipsets have one MIDI interface, so that would be 16 exactly
MIDI channels. For instance, the SiS 7018 in my laptop provides one MIDI
interface. Upmarket audio cards provide multiple MIDI interfaces, and my
Yamaha UX-96 reports it has six (despite having only one pair of MIDI in
and out sockets).

Chris