Subject: Re: Multiple channels of audio?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/2004 11:42:11
In message <6.1.0.6.0.20040610122536.024249c8@mail.speakeasy.net>, Laine Stump
writes:
>At 11:19 AM 6/10/2004, Peter Seebach wrote:
>>II'm mostly going off what sound hardware advertises on the box; most PC sound
>>hardware claims to be able to do 64-channel playback, and some do 128-256 or
>>more.  I'd assume at least part of this is actual hardware, such that you can
>>queue up samples and it can play them all at once.

>I always thought this number was how many simultaneous MIDI tracks it could
>produce, not the number of raw audio tracks.

No, most sound cards can do either 0 or 16 MIDI tracks.  Unless they have an
onboard chip... but at that point, if you have hardware which can play back
hundreds of samples at once, you have hardware which can play back hundreds
of samples at once, and you can pick and choose which samples to give it.

-s