Subject: Re: raidframe: failed to allocate emergency buffer!
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Frank Kardel <Frank.Kardel@Acrys.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/2004 09:12:14
Daniel Carosone wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:51:04AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
>

>>size constraints, and the fact that you use RAID1 for everything, I
>>estimate that you need 30 to 50 file systems, which will fit on 3 or 4
>>RAID devices.
>>

>Except of course you'll probably want a multiple of 3 raid devices,
>for even splitting of 6 disks with raid1, so 6 it is for convenience.
>Still a far cry from 48 :)

Yepp -  I found my wrong track here. Will re-configure.

>Beware that, with multiple raid pseudo devices on the same physical
>disk, parallel fsck will suck, because fsck looks at the device names
>and assumes they're independent disks, but they're not underneath.

So true - wouldn't it make sense to make either fstab contain something
like a spindle id to
find out about shared devices or to support a spindle id for disk
devices via ioctl(). That
way fsck could find the non conflicting devices for unhindered parallel
checks.

--
  Frank