Subject: Re: raidframe: failed to allocate emergency buffer!
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/03/2004 10:51:04
On Thu, 03 Jun 2004, Frank Kardel wrote:
> Well, *grin*, what i have is 6 IDE disks with 200/250 GB. As amanda 2.4.2
> currently cannot split a backup file between media i limit the file system
> size to about 16-20GB. The backup is done on DAT4 tapes.
> Given the
> 'small' file system size and the big disks we are looking at
> 30-40 raid 1 devices to accommodate all the file systems.

You can get at least 12 file systems per RAID1 device.  (16 partitions
per disklabel, minus some overhead because you can't/probably don't
want to use the b/c/d partitions for normal file systems).  Given your
size constraints, and the fact that you use RAID1 for everything, I
estimate that you need 30 to 50 file systems, which will fit on 3 or 4
RAID devices.

> If amanda would be able to split backup file between media i could
> make bigger file systems. But currently the small file system size is
> no limitation for me.

This is my number 1 wish list item for amanda.

--apb (Alan Barrett)