Subject: Re: keyboard problem with X
To: Wouter Klouwen <dublet@dublet.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/2004 14:14:25
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Wouter Klouwen wrote:

> for the past while I've been having problems with -current while running X.
> The problem is that when running X for a while (or short while, time running
> doesn't seem to matter), it gets more sluggish while taking in keyboard
> input. Even keys which I am sure of typing in the right order may appear
> reversed. While this is occuring, X seems to take in more CPU time. When the
> CPU time gets to about 98%, it seems to stop accepting any input.
> Switching to console doesn't help, as X won't handle the keyboard input.
> Logging via ssh or serial console simply yields a perfectly usable system.
> After a little digging I have found a related post on current-users dating
> back to 1994 with the same problem:
> 	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/1994/08/31/0008.html
>
> Surprisingly, this only affects a few of my systems.
> My AMD T-bird 1.4GHz on an Abit KT7 is doing this, while my Compaq Armada
> E500 laptop isn't. The T-bird has a Matrox G550 with dual screen setup,

Interesting. My keyboard similarly stops responding from time to time,
but mainly soon after booting up. If I login right away via ssh and
restart the server, then it's fine. If I'm quick enough, I can even
switch to the console and restart the server, and then then it's fine,
too. If I wait too long, though, it's wedged and I have to go for the
power button. Once it's been up for an hour or so, I can stay logged
in under xdm for a month or more with no further problems. Another
data point: if I leave the computer unattended at the xdm login for a
couple of days, it sometimes freezes up hard. (Maybe the screensaver
magically fixes something?) The punchline is... this is a dual Pentium
2.2G, also a Matrox G550.

Frederick