Subject: Re: pkg/25610 and pkgsrc/(postgresql74 + p5-postgresql) -> pthread problems!?
To: Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com>
From: Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/2004 18:24:04

Thanks for the hint! :-)

    Sverre> Can this be related to pkg/25610? If so, the fix provided
    Sverre> in the PR works for me.

Seems to be so! With this patch the resulting dynamically (!) linked
perl(58) (*) can run the (pthread-ed) postgresql74 based
p5-postgresql!

  (*) It's the one that is installed if you

    cd .../pkgsrc/lang/perl58/work.../perl-5.8.4
    make install

The finally installed and stripped perl binary from

  cd .../pkgsrc/lang/perl58
  make install

can _not_ run the indirectly pthread-ed p5-postgresql due to its
lost/stripped pthread dependency!

-> Seems to be a general problem where pthread is required by a base
package (postgres74-lib in my case, gd in yours) and the inbetween
perl (maybe others: e. g. python, php, apache?) does not
provide/require it.

-> A whole pkgsrc native pthread problem for netbsd?

BTW: Can anybody successfully compile perl58-thread under/for
netbsd-{current,-2-0)?

Markus.