Subject: Re: unused options
To: None <dlagno@mail.nnov.ru>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/2004 12:14:52
>I see that some options present in i386/GENERIC are not used anywhere.
>
>They are PIC_DELAY in arch/i386/conf/GENERIC and CRYPTO_MD_* in
>arch/i386/conf/std.i386

i think that used to be called DUMMY_NOPS.  not sure where the
consumers went.

>Second question is about CTL_PRIVATE flag in sysctl interface.  It is
>defined and checked, but not used anywhere in stock kernel.  OTOH
>hw.cnmagic is a good candidate to use with that flag.

that all depends.  what's to be gained by keeping that value hidden
from regular users?  does it pose some sort of security risk?  perhaps
kern.securelevel would be a better candidate?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."