Subject: Re: fxp0: can't handle af118
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/18/2004 11:51:05
On Sun, 9 May 2004 19:41:47 GMT, Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com> wrote:

> In article <409E7D87.3020409@planix.com>,
> Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com> wrote:
> >-=-=-=-=-=-
>

> >After seeing the patches from PR/25332 and PR/24981 committed this
> >morning I updated my kernel. Now my IPF tcp catch-all rule "block
> >return-rst in log quick proto tcp from any to any" will not create and
> >send the RST packet anymore. Instead, the kernel prints "fxp0: cant'
> >handle af118".
> >
> >Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> File a PR; this looks like a regression. If you can find which part of
> the patch broke it, it would be a lot of help. This I suspect means
> that the constructed packet is busted and its address family is invalid
> [118].
>
> christos

I'm seeing the same thing with tl(4):
May 18 11:45:31 eros /netbsd: tl1: can't handle af8

I am also using a catch-all return-rst rule...

It appears to stem from sys/net/if_ethersubr.c (revision 1.114) line 462-465:
  462    default:
  463       printf("%s: can't handle af%d\n", ifp->if_xname,
  464          dst->sa_family);
  465       senderr(EAFNOSUPPORT);

if the address family is broken, but different, for fxp, it sounds
like it's not getting set somewhere and a value from elsewhere is
leaking in, or something similar. I'll see if I can figure out what,
but it's been ages since I've looked through the ethernet code.

-Sean