Subject: Re: File/Buffer cache consumes all memory even when constrained in sysctl
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/2004 16:11:37
--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:53:29AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:

[snip[

> But even with this, I find that on my 1GB IBM X31, a cvs followed by a bu=
ild.sh
> forces available memory for apps down below 30Mb.

How are you defining "available memory for apps"? Are you having=20
applications crash due to lack of memory?

NetBSD, especially 2.0, is very agressive about caching lots of=20
recently-used data. To the point that you can tune it so that any one user=
=20
of memory can gobble all of it up. Thus you can easily have all of the=20
system RAM working for you.

As a consequence, a heavily-used system will end up with very little=20
memory just lying around doing nothing. I've seen busy half Gig and 1 GB=20
systems happily running with 1000K "Free".

Take care,

Bill

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5--