Subject: Re: File/Buffer cache consumes all memory even when constrained in
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/2004 13:01:42

>> But even with this, I find that on my 1GB IBM X31, a cvs followed by a
>> build.sh forces available memory for apps down below 30Mb.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by "available memory for apps", but perhaps you
>can approximate it by increasing vm.anonmin and vm.execmin significantly.

the values are the defaults from GENERIC_LAPTOP and a clean install.
nothing has been overridden by sysctl.conf. I did get some tunings from
Perry, but I decided to remove them when I switched from 256Mb to 1Gb shifting
from Dell to IBM.

>I suspect that you will find that this makes your system slower, not
>faster.

I think its likely that this is as good as it gets, and that top isn't a good
indication of whats 'optimal' for me.

>Thor

cheers
	-George