Subject: Re: can't build current - gcc fails
To: NetBSD Current <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/2004 20:59:02
Alan Barrett wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Dick Davies wrote:
> > Well yeah, but the general rule is to boot the new kernel then build
> > userland under it, isn't it?
>
> No, the general rule, in the days of build.sh, is to
>
> 0. be running the old kernel and old userland
> 1. use buil.d.sh to build new tools, new kernel, and new userland.
> 2. install and boot the new kernel.
> 3. install the new userland.

Alan's correct.  In fact, as I've mentioned in the past on this list,
because the userland is the most likely to fail, and you want to have
a kernel that is as close as possible, or slightly newer than, userland!
Never older kernel than userland.  I've expanded the list to:

 1.a build.sh tools
 1.b build.sh distribution
 1.c build.sh kernel
 2. install and boot the new kernel.
 3. install the new userland.

> I wish somebody would apply my patches from PR 24654.  I might send more
> patches if the old ones didn't get ignored for months or years.

Hey, I wish the same.  In fact, I've stopped sending new PRs until my
old ones are applied, because most things depend on the previous.  I'm
bottlenecked on:
  toolchain/21923: incorrect documentation on tracking current
  pkg/23063: tracking freebsd/openbsd pkg_* documentation
  install/23076: 2003 q3 /etc/moduli
--
William Allen Simpson