Subject: Re: can't build current - gcc fails
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/2004 23:54:17
* Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com> [0454 15:54]:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Dick Davies wrote:
> > Well yeah, but the general rule is to boot the new kernel then build
> > userland under it, isn't it?
>
> No, the general rule, in the days of build.sh, is to
>
> 0. be running the old kernel and old userland
> 1. use buil.d.sh to build new tools, new kernel, and new userland.
> 2. install and boot the new kernel.
> 3. install the new userland.

I just did that, ta. I have been using the steps at

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#updating

which explains how to use build.sh, and I was told that by the
guys who wrote the distribution / install targets over a year ago -
that page could probably do with a rewrite.

One gotcha worth mentioning is that if the kernel version changes, the
default value of TOOLDIR does too, so without a -T flag build.sh falls
over on step 3.

> I wish somebody would apply my patches from PR 24654.  I might send more
> patches if the old ones didn't get ignored for months or years.

Have you nagged someone? Send a mail to the doc list.

--
Pohl's law:
	Nothing is so good that somebody, somewhere, will not hate it.