Subject: Re: releng autobuild 2.0 using 1.6A?
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2004 11:40:43
On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 11:27:57AM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> >
> > In article <4078F1D3.5706C65F@greendragon.com> you wrote:
> > > http://releng.netbsd.org/ab/B_netbsd-2-0/M_i386/i386.relse.1081468800.txt
> > >          TOOLDIR path:     /autobuild/netbsd-2-0/i386/OBJ/autobuild/netbsd-2-0/src/tooldir.NetBSD-1.6A-i386
> > >
> > > Any reason why the machine is still running a rather ancient kernel?
> >
> > Probably because it works (and there was no pressing reason to upgrade)?
> >
> (1) There have been a few Security Advisories since then -- which would
> seem to affect an FTP server, among other features.

Since you don't actually use the machine in question, you can't actually
have any rational basis for any statement whatsoever about whether a given
security fix has been applied, right?  I'm just checking, because it really
sounds to me like you're spreading FUD.

> (2) It would certainly be nice to use those file and memory speed-ups
> that folks have added over the years.

Again, since you don't actually use the machine in question, you can't
really say much about its performance on the basis of actual empirical
observation, right?  Again, I'm just curious -- both why this is a topic
of such fascination to you and why you seem to think it's reasonable for
you to be making loud, pseudo-authoritative statements about it on a
public list without making it clear that you're not, actually, in a
position to know.

Thor